I have been asked if I can tell if a Writer can write – based on the first paragraph.
- They have a solid grasp of and love for language.
- They know how to set the tone and atmosphere, and waste no effort doing so.
- They are smart; smart enough to write something that entertains, enlightens, and educates.
- They are clever; clever enough to exploit a narrative element that attracts and engages the audience.
- They embrace visual writing.
- They engage the audience on an emotional level, and will not let go until the tale is told.
- Simply, they take control of the story from the first word. They know the craft of writing, the character of the story, the reality, and they know how to tell the story.